How To Integrate Rackspace Cloud Monitoring with PagerDuty (Beta)
Rackspace Cloud Monitoring is a web application platform that is flexible and robust. The guide below describes how to integrate Rackspace Cloud Monitoring with your PagerDuty account. By integrating with PagerDuty, you can be alerted when alarms are triggered within your Rackspace Cloud Monitoring environment. This integration is currently in beta. This means that while the Rackspace web interface is not in its final form, all alert triggering and resolution are fully functional.
If you require any assistance in getting configured, please contact us.
- Under the Services tab, click “Add New Service”.
- Enter a name for the service (in our example we used Rackspace Cloud Monitoring), and select an escalation policy. Select “Generic API System” for the Service Type.
- Click the “Add Service” button.
- Once the service is created, you’ll be taken to the service page. On this page, you’ll see the “Service key”, which will be needed later.
Note: You may create multiple Generic API services for use with different PagerDuty policies. The Rackspace Cloud Monitoring can be aligned to any number of different PagerDuty accounts and “Generic API” services.
Within Rackspace Cloud Monitoring:
Create the PagerDuty Notification Plan and Notifications
- Go to https://ui-labs.cloudmonitoring.rackspace.com/ and log in with your Rackspace credentials.
- Click on notifications in the top menu.
- Click the + next to notifications.
- Enter a label for the notification, we used PagerDuty although if you’re adding multiple notifications you will want to add a unique label here. Select pagerduty as the notification_type. Enter your serviceKey which you obtained from step 4 under the Within PagerDuty section of this guide.
- Click the + next to notification_plans.
- Enter a name for the notification plan and click on Confirm. If you’re planning on having multiple plans, you will want a unique name here.
- You will be taken to view the notification plan. Click on the little pencil icon to edit the notification plan.
- Select your PagerDuty notification for the ok_state, warning_state and critical_state.
- Click the check mark to save your notification plan.
Add Your Notification as a Check
- Go to https://mycloud.rackspace.com and login.
- Select your server that you would like to monitor.
- Scroll down to the Monitoring Checks section, and click on Create Check.
- Select the check type that you want to monitor.
- Enter a name for your check, such as HTTP Check.
- Fill out the remaining empty fields on the form that are relavent to the Check Type that you have selected.
- Select the PagerDuty monitoring notification plan that you created earlier from the “Send Alarms to” drop-down menu.
- Click on Create Check.
Congratulations, you’ve now integrated Rackspace Cloud Monitoring with PagerDuty. If you would like to have add additional monitoring notifications or monitioring checks, simply repeat the steps above using multiple PagerDuty services and Rackspace Cloud Monitoring notifications.
Please contact us if you have any questions.