How to Integrate Server Density with PagerDuty
Server Density is a hosted monitoring service that provides comprehensive host-level monitoring for systems running Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, and MacOS X. Server Density can also monitor common server software such as Apache, MySQL, and Nginx. Its flexible plugin architecture allows it to be extended to monitor custom software.
Server Density can be easily configured to pass all alerts to PagerDuty. Using PagerDuty, you can receive your Server Density alerts via phone call, SMS, or email; configure automatic escalation of alerts; escalate alerts right from your mobile phone; and set up on-call duty scheduling.
What you’ll need to get started
You’ll need a Server Density account. You’ll also need a PagerDuty account (either a paid account or a free trial account will work).
Setting up the PagerDuty / Server Density Integration
- Click on the Services tab.
- On the right sidebar, click the Add New Service button.
- Enter a name for the service and select an escalation policy.
- Start typing “Server Density” under “Integration Type” to filter your choices.
- Click the Add Service button.
- You’ll be taken to the service page. Copy the Service API key to the clipboard; you’ll need it to set up the integration in Server Density.
In Server Density:
- Click on the Notifications tab and then on the PagerDuty tab. Enter a name for your PagerDuty service and paste in the API key you previously noted (Step 4). Click on the + sign to save the notification.
Once saved, you will see the service in the Preferences window:
- When adding an alert, scroll to the bottom of the recipients list (or search for the name) and select your PagerDuty service to select it as a recipient.
Integration in Action
Once an alert is triggered or resolved within Server Density:
It will also be triggered or resolved within PagerDuty:
Can you configure ServerDensity alerts to target different PagerDuty services?
Yes, in order to do this, repeat all of the steps in this guide for an additional PagerDuty service and ServerDensity alert.
If you run into any problems with the integration, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.