Quest Spotlight Enterprise delivers simplicity without compromise by providing unmatched monitoring, diagnosis and optimization of your SQL Server environments, ensuring peak performance around the clock. With intuitive overviews of enterprise health and performance, automated alerts and actions, an integrated Xpert tuning module and mobile device support, Spotlight on SQL Server Enterprise makes it easier than ever to obtain the data you need to ensure the health of your SQL Server databases.
Please note, you will need to have the admin role on the account to add/view the API Access keys.
- Go to the Configuration menu and select API Access.
- On the API Access page, click Create New API Key.
- In the dialog that pops up, you’ll be prompted to enter a Description for your key, and choose an API version. Select v1 Legacy for this integration. You will also have the option to create the key as Read-only; leaving this box unchecked will create a full access key.Note: This integration uses API v1, and will not work with an API v2 key.
- Once you have filled in your description, click Create Key.
- Once you click Create Key, you will see a dialog displaying your key and confirming the options you filled in on the previous step. Make sure to copy this key into any application that needs it now, as you will not have access to the key after this step. If you lose a key that you created previously and need access to it again, you should remove the key and create a new one. Click Close once you have successfully copied your key.
- Once created, you will see your key appear in the list of keys on the API Access page, with versioning noted.
- Go to the Configuration menu and select Services.
- On the Services page:
- If you are creating a new service for your integration, click Add New Service.
- If you are adding your integration to an existing service, click the name of the service you want to add the integration to. Then click the Integrations tab and click the New Integration button.
- Select your app from the Integration Type menu and enter an Integration Name.If you are creating a new service for your integration, in General Settings, enter a Name for your new service. Then, in Incident Settings, specify the Escalation Policy, Notification Urgency, and Incident Behavior for your new service.
- Click the Add Service or Add Integration button to save your new integration. You will be redirected to the Integrations page for your service.
- Copy the Integration Key for your new integration.
In the Spotlight Enterprise Client:
- From the Spotlight Enterprise Configure menu click Diagnostic Server.
- Click Configure PagerDuty.
- From the Configure PagerDuty screen
- In the API Access Key field, type some text (any text).
- In the Service API key field, enter the PagerDuty Integration Key.
- Click Trigger Test Incident to verify Spotlight Enterprise can successfully send an alarm notification to PagerDuty.
To verify everything is correct, check that you can see a new incident triggered in your PagerDuty account.
Configure Alarm Actions
Define the conditions requiring Spotlight Enterprise to send an incident report to PagerDuty.
- From the Spotlight Enterprise Configure menu click Alarm Actions.
- Click New to create a new rule or select a rule and click Modify.
- In the alarm action editor, give the rule a meaningful name. Apply conditions such as the name of the alarm, the severity of the alarm, the alarm type, the connection type, the date of the week and the time of day. In the actions to perform, select Send PagerDuty Incident. A PagerDuty incident is sent to the PagerDuty dashboard when all conditions for this rule are met.
- Return to the Alarm Action Editor. Create as many rules as are appropriate to your organization. All the actions in the rule are executed when all the conditions in the rule are met. Rules are executed in the order they are listed in the Alarm Action Editor. Move rules up and down to re-organize them.
Congratulations! You have integrated Spotlight Enterprise with your PagerDuty account. The PagerDuty incident is updated automatically when the alarm severity changes in Spotlight Enterprise. When the alarm is resolved in Spotlight Enterprise the incident is resolved in PagerDuty.
Will actions in Spotlight reflect in PagerDuty?
Yes. Acknowledgments and resolves in Spotlight will reflect in PagerDuty, however, actions from PagerDuty will not reflect in Spotlight.