Google Stackdriver is a SaaS monitoring solution that uses data analytics to help engineers identify and resolve critical issues with their cloud-powered applications. Stackdriver makes it easy to monitor your cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Rackspace), systems (Linux, Windows), and application services (Nginx, Apache, MySQL, MongoDB, etc.). Stackdriver has implemented two-way integration with PagerDuty, so alerts from Stackdriver can automatically trigger and resolve PagerDuty incidents.
If you run into any issues in integrating Stackdriver with PagerDuty, contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From the Configuration menu, select Services.
- On your Services page:If you are creating a new service for your integration, click +Add New Service.If you are adding your integration to an existing service, click the name of the service you want to add the integration to. Then click the Integrations tab and click the +New Integration button.
- Select your app from the Integration Type menu and enter an Integration Name.If you are creating a new service for your integration, in General Settings, enter a Name for your new service. Then, in Incident Settings, specify the Escalation Policy, Notification Urgency, and Incident Behavior for your new service.
- Click the Add Service or Add Integration button to save your new integration. You will be redirected to the Integrations page for your service.
- Copy the Integration Key for your new integration:
- From the Stackdriver homepage, click Account in the top right and then Account Settings from the dropdown.
- Under Settings, click PagerDuty then click +Add next to PagerDuty Services.
- Fill in Service Name with the same name you used in step 3 of the PagerDuty setup section.
- Fill in API Key with the Integration Service API Key that you copied from the PagerDuty service page.
- Now when you create a policy, you’ll see an option for PagerDuty in the dropdown under “notify via” in the alert section.
Advanced Integration (Two-Way Sync)
- To enable two-way sync with the Stackdriver service, in your PagerDuty account, under the Configuration menu, select API Access.
- On your API Access page, click the +Create New API Key button.
- In the dialog that pops up, you’ll be prompted to enter a Description for your key, and choose an API version. You will also have the option to create the key as Read-only; leaving this box unchecked will create a full access key. A note about versioning: API v2.0 is designed to make it easier for new integrations to communicate with PagerDuty. Most existing PagerDuty integrations will require an API v1.0 key. If you have questions on which API version to use, please contact email@example.com
- Once you have filled in your options, click Create Key.
- Once you click Create Key, you will see a dialog displaying your key and confirming the options you filled in on the previous step. Make sure to copy this key into any application that needs it now, as you will not have access to the key after this step. If you lose a key that you created previously and need access to it again, you should remove the key and create a new one. Click Close once you have successfully copied your key.
- To set up sync, head back to your Account Settings page and click PagerDuty under Settings. Next to PagerDuty Sync API, click Configure.
- Fill in API key name with name you used in step 2 of the PagerDuty Sync setup.
- Fill in your company subdomain name used to navigate to PagerDuty.
- Fill in API key with the API Access Key you copied from the PagerDuty setup section.
- Click Submit to finish. Now Stackdriver incidents resolved or acknowledged in PagerDuty will automatically be resolved in both applications.
In addition, incidents will automatically be resolved within PagerDuty once they are resolved within Stackdriver:
*For documentation concerning PagerDuty authentication, click the link below.