BMC Remedy Service Desk is an innovative service management platform built natively for mobile with an intuitive, beautiful, people-centric user experience that makes your whole organization more productive. BMC Remedy will enable PagerDuty users to get alerts when forms are filled out that need immediate attention. This integration is TAP validated and can be found in the BMC Marketplace.
This guide will provide an overview of the processes required to install and configure the PagerDuty for BMC Remedy Service Desk Integration. Additional documentation on customizing the integration can be found here.
- A PagerDuty account. You can sign up here if you don’t already have one.
- BMC Remedy Service Desk Incident Management 8.1 and above.
- BMC Remedy Action Request System 8.1 and above.
Preparing to Install
- Download the PagerDuty Remedy Integration from Github here.
- Place the PagerDuty Binary wherever you choose, in this example we will use c:\PagerDuty\pd-remedy.exe. Please note to rename the executable file that you have downloaded to pd-remedy.exe.
- Download the PagerDuty filter definitions here.
- From the Configuration menu, select Services.
- On your Services page:If you are creating a new service for your integration, click +Add New Service.If you are adding your integration to an existing service, click the name of the service you want to add the integration to. Then click the Integrations tab and click the +New Integration button.
- Select your app from the Integration Type menu and enter an Integration Name.If you are creating a new service for your integration, in General Settings, enter a Name for your new service. Then, in Incident Settings, specify the Escalation Policy, Notification Urgency, and Incident Behavior for your new service.
- Click the Add Service or Add Integration button to save your new integration. You will be redirected to the Integrations page for your service.
- Copy the Integration Key for your new integration:
Add the PdIncidentId Field
- Open the BMC Developer studio and log in as a user with permissions to add a field. Make sure you are in the Best Practices mode.
- Right-click on the HPD:Help Desk form in forms list.
- Select Create Overlay.
- Open the HPD:Help Desk form.
- Select Form, Create a new field, In no view, and select character.
- It will create a new field called ‘Character Field’. You must then modify the Menu Name, Name and ID fields, which will look like the below image. Please note: You must change the field ID to something unique and out of the auto assigned ID range to avoid conflicts.
- Lastly, assign “Public” permissions to the field:
Setting up Remedy: trigger
- Download the PagerDuty_Filters.def file
- Open the BMC Developer Studio and log in as a user with permission to add filters.
- Go to File menu and select Import.
- Select Object Definitions as the import source.
- Select which server to import the object definitions into.
- Select the PagerDuty Filters definitions file that you downloaded in Step 1.
- Import al of the filters by clicking the Finish button.
- Once the import wizard completes, you will see four new filters: HPD:PD:Trigger, HPD:PD:resolve, HPD:PD:setID, and HPD:PD:refresh.
- Now that you’ve imported the filters, you will need to adjust them so that the integration can communicate with your PagerDuty account. Within the HPD:PD:Trigger and HPD:PD:resolve filters, replace the text “YOUR_SERVICE_API_KEY” with the 32 character Integration Key from your PagerDuty account.
- Next, open the HPD:PD:SetId and HPD:PD:refresh filters and update the text “YOUR_REST_API_KEY” with the 20 character API Access key available from the Configuration > API Access menu within PagerDuty. A new API key may need to be created if one has not been created or was forgotten. You can read more about creating a PagerDuty API key here.
- From the Applications menu, go to Incident Management and select New Incident.
- Fill out the required fields and click the Save button.
- Within the Work Details you will see that a PagerDuty incident has been triggered along with who has been notified.
- If a user resolves the PagerDuty incident, the Work Note will also be updated to reflect this change.
Note: The integration also supports other workflows. If a user were to resolve the incident within Remedy, the corresponding PagerDuty incident will also be resolved.
Can I setup BMC Remedy to be tied to multiple PagerDuty services?
Yes, you can create multiple PagerDuty services, each with a different service API key and add them to the different filters.