Delivering Real-Time Response Across Your Microsoft Environment and Tools
The Microsoft software stack is perhaps the biggest household name across the enterprise. For the past several years, we’ve seen a huge shift from an on-premises deployment model to cloud-first in response to organizational needs for faster time-to-market, scalability, flexibility, and security. Customers are increasingly migrating to hybrid cloud management and Azure cloud datacenter resources which have achieved massive adoption.
So today, as Microsoft Ignite kicks off for the week, we at PagerDuty are extremely excited to be here as a strategic Microsoft partner. We enable Microsoft customers to extend agile and customizable incident management workflows to every service layer of their existing environment as they embark on their hybrid cloud journey.
You can easily tie Systems Center Operations Manager (SCOM), Operations Management Suite (OMS), and Azure at the service-level within PagerDuty to get a birds-eye view into your entire hybrid infrastructure. Every time you get alerted PagerDuty kicks off a powerful incident management workflow where you can get notified via custom notification rules, view embedded real-time third-party monitoring iframes and runbook information, recruit responders to jump onto a Skype conference bridge to collaborate in real-time. The flexibility of the PagerDuty platform extends the fastest path to incident resolution to your Microsoft environment. Conversely, if you enjoy using your Microsoft productivity tools, you can easily view PagerDuty response metrics and dashboards, see PagerDuty on-call schedules directly in Sharepoint, and more — the possibilities are endless via our REST API.
Let’s dive into how PagerDuty integrates with Microsoft tooling to enable IT Ops practitioners and developers to deliver real-time incident response:
- Azure Alerts — Get alerted on critical health metrics across your Microsoft Azure datacenter resources such as platform-level insights, Application Insights, Autoscale Notifications, and Audit Log events. This is a webhook-based integration, enabling easy set-up and customization.
- Operations Management Suite (OMS) — Gain visibility and control across your hybrid cloud (Microsoft Azure, AWS, OpenStack, Linux, and VMware) with all diagnostic, log, performance, and alert data in one control panel view. You can set alerts to trigger on a pre-defined log search, and alerts are sent to PagerDuty via webhooks whenever certain criteria are met.
- Systems Center Operations Manager — SCOM monitors the state, health, and performance of everything from servers to individual applications in Microsoft Windows environments. Alerts generated in SCOM can trigger incidents in PagerDuty to alert the appropriate technician via SMS, phone, email or push notification.
- Visual Studio Team Foundation Server — VSTS is a fantastic complement to your IDE as a platform for sharing and shipping code and tracking work for any language. Get alerted in PagerDuty whenever a bug or an issue gets filed.
- Skype — Tie Skype online meeting details to any service so that all incidents triggered from that service automatically have those details embedded, enabling incident commanders to recruit others to collaborate in real-time. Alternatively, you can save Skype meeting details as persistent response bridges which you can embed self-service into incidents via a dropdown — these are configured via our new Workflow Extensions interface. *Response bridges are only available to Standard and Enterprise customers.
- Sharepoint — Embed important information from PagerDuty directly within Sharepoint so that you can immediately identify who’s on-call now and their contact information, as well as see the on-call schedule. This can also be done easily via our API.
Note that Azure Alerts, OMS, and Visual Studio Team Foundation Server are all webhook-based integrations, so to get set up all you need to do is to configure your service to send webhooks to PagerDuty by pasting in the PagerDuty webhook endpoint.
Finally, you can get your entire team started on PagerDuty in just minutes with their existing credentials, leveraging Active Directory Federation Services SSO and Azure Active Directory SSO. You can find these guides in our new Extensions tab on the Integrations page.
We look forward to seeing some of you at Microsoft Ignite to demo all these exciting use cases in action. Be sure to visit us at Booth #2072 to collect PagerDuty gear, for a chance to win PagerDuty-branded beats headphones, and to chat with our team about how you can leverage PagerDuty to extend agile incident management workflows to your environment and Microsoft tools today.