What’s New: Updates to Incident Response, PagerDuty® Process Automation Software & PagerDuty® Runbook Automation, Mobile App Experience, and More!
We’re excited to announce a new set of updates and enhancements to the PagerDuty Operations Cloud in addition to the November Product Launch announcements made earlier this month. Recent development and app updates from the product team include Incident Response, PagerDuty® Process Automation, the PagerDuty Mobile App, Integrations, as well as Community & Advocacy Events updates. We continue to help customers further automate to optimize cloud operations and reduce the amount of issues escalated to other teams. Get started now and learn about:
- Incident Workflows for faster, more flexible Incident Response
- AIOps for tuning system noise with Flexible Time Windows for alert grouping
- PagerDuty® Process Automation and Rundeck Community updates in the latest 4.8.0 Release
- An improved PagerDuty Mobile App Experience with the New Mobile Home Screen Experience and Mobile App User Login Experience
- Streamlining CollabOps Integrations with expansions to the PagerDuty App for Microsoft Teams
- Product Deprecations including the v1 Webhooks EOL (End-Of-Life), Event Rules EOL & Migration to Event Orchestration, and v2 Zendesk Integration EOL
- Sign up for upcoming Events view our recent Podcasts and Twitch Streams, and join members of our Community Team and Product Teams as they walk you through new products and leading practices in the software industry
Early Access for Incident Workflows
Use a no-code/low-code builder to create customizable incident workflows that will reduce the manual work required to escalate, mobilize, and orchestrate the right incident response for any use case. Automatically trigger an orchestrated response using if-this-then-that logic to sequence common incident actions, such as adding a responder, subscribing stakeholders, or starting a conference bridge. To learn more, check out the deep-dive blog, our KB article and sign up for Early Access.
View a demo of Incident Workflows above or watch it in action later
(Featured above: Incident Workflows Builder)
(Featured above: Incident Workflows Conditional Trigger Setup)
(Featured above: Incident Workflows Conditional Trigger Configuration)
- Please fill out the Early Access Program Form to be added to our early access list for the latest updates
- Learn more about communicating with stakeholders in the Knowledge Base
Flexible Time Windows
Our latest AIOps feature, Flexible Time Windows, is now generally available for all Event Intelligence or DigOps users. You can use it to access greater precision and flexibility when tuning for system noise, along with recommendations on optimal time windows. A configurable time interval lets users tailor Intelligent Alert Grouping to optimize noise reduction for each service, all using a simple dropdown menu.
(Featured above: Flexible Time Windows)
Learn more about this feature and all of Intelligent Alert Grouping in the Knowledge Base.
PagerDuty® Process Automation
PagerDuty® Process Automation Software and PagerDuty® Runbook Automation Version 4.8.0
Check out the new features and enhancements for PagerDuty® Process Automation, PagerDuty Runbook Automation, and Rundeck Community.
- RSS Feed Plugin. The new RSS Feed Plugin helps users quickly understand whether an incident is due to an internal issue or a third-party. The RSS Feed Plugin allows users to query and parse RSS feeds for events from SaaS tools and public cloud providers. For users deploying the Automated-Diagnostics Solution, this plugin provides a logical first step for implementation.
(Featured above: Events RSS Feed Plugin Sample Configuration)
(Featured above: Output in Runbook Automation)
(Featured above: Output in the PagerDuty App for Slack)
- ServiceNow App. The ServiceNow App is certified for the ServiceNow Tokyo Release and is now available for PagerDuty Process Automation Commercial Products within the ServiceNow® Store. Contact your Account Executive or Customer Success contact to request for the application.
(Featured above: Process Automation ServiceNow App Configuration Settings)
- Job Resume now works with Parallel/Ruleset strategies. Now users can resume long running jobs at the point of failure vs. re-running a multi-hour / day job. Users can execute previously failed step(s) with the same inputs on Parallel and Ruleset execution strategies. When enabled on a Job, the plugin will record the internal Workflow State as the Execution progresses. When one or more steps fail, the Workflow State prior to executing the failed step(s) is recorded and stored and can be restarted if needed.
Read the release notes to learn more.
- View our Twitch stream review of this release
- Read the full release notes about the Phoenix Green Knight Release (4.8.0), November 10, 2022
PagerDuty Mobile App
Updates to the PagerDuty Mobile App User Login Experience
The login experience now begins with a requirement to enter your email address. Your email address will then drive the rest of the login experience, presenting you with more streamlined and relevant options at every step of the login experience. You will see the following changes:
- The current login screen with 4 buttons will be replaced by a single email entry field
- The email address will be entered by the user
- That email address will determine what service regions you are in, and what login options have been enabled on your accounts (username/password, or single-sign-on)
- We will then present you with additional fields (e.g. password), or perhaps send you directly to your single-sign-on provider (if only one single-sign-on provider is associated with your email address)
With these updates, you won’t need to choose SSO/Service Region before entering your credentials.
We started rolling out this change gradually starting December 5th, 2022 and will continue throughout the month of December. If you have additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
New PagerDuty Mobile Home Screen Experience
Now if you navigate to “Home” in the PagerDuty Mobile App,”My open incidents” now sits front and center to reveal the most recent incidents along with their related details. Responders who want a broader awareness of digital operations can easily view and access non-incident information like on-call shifts and impacted technical services. This is just the latest in a series of new mobile app enhancements we’ve rolled out this year. You can learn more by reading the blog or knowledge base article.
(Featured above: Mobile Home Screen Experience Main Dashboard and Upcoming Shifts Menu)
Expanded Incident Response Functionality in the PagerDuty App for Microsoft Teams
Incident responders can now perform additional incident management actions from the PagerDuty App for Microsoft Teams. These updates include the ability to:
- Change priority
- Add responders
- Run PagerDuty Automation Actions
(Featured above: PagerDuty App for Microsoft Teams Incident Actions)
(Featured above: PagerDuty App for Microsoft Teams Automation Actions)
- You can read more about this feature in the blog
- Visit the PagerDuty App for Microsoft Integration Guide
- If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com
Please take note and keep your teams informed of our upcoming product deprecations.
V1 Webhooks EOL
The End of Life date for v1 Webhooks is 10/31/2022. This means:
- You will no longer be able to create new v1 Webhooks or use existing connections to v1 Webhook extensions
- Apps or integrations that are using v1 Webhooks will stop working
For more information, please:
- Refer to this migration guide for details and steps to migrate to v3 Webhooks
- Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions
V2 Zendesk Integration EOL
PagerDuty’s v2 App for Zendesk will End-Of-Life in March 2023. Migrate now to continue to send Zendesk Support Ticket events to PagerDuty. You can read about the benefits of migrating to v3 in the Integrations section above.
- Learn more in the PagerDuty App for Zendesk integration guide
- If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to email@example.com
Event Rules EOL & Migration to Event Orchestration
PagerDuty Event Rules End-Of-Life is January 31, 2023. You can:
- Learn more about the migration in the knowledge base
- Learn more about Event Orchestration
- Contact your account managerWe have plenty of migration paths to support this EOL. Additionally on the EOL date, we will auto-migrate any remaining event rules you are using to Event Orchestrations, one-to-one. From then on, you’ll be able to do everything in Event Orchestration that you can in Event Rules today. Event Orchestration has the same features as Event Rules and it uses the same backend architecture, ensuring that event processing has billions-of-events-worth of testing already baked in.
Webinars & Events
Join us for the following webinars and events to learn more about PagerDuty’s recent product updates and how they benefit customers. These are just a few of many:
Fewer Rules & Less Noise: Your Guide to Event Orchestration with PagerDuty University
Join Hannah Lodise for a quick 3-minute walkthrough of Event Orchestration basics. Your teams will learn to leverage automation to reduce noise, more efficiently process events at ingest, and even avoid incidents entirely!
Terraform Quarterly Roundtable
Date & Time: February 21, 2023 10:00am PT (US & Canada)
Join Scott McAllister and José Antonio Reyes from PagerDuty to hear from industry peers and share your own experiences regarding best practices, learnings, and things to consider when implementing Infrastructure as Code with Terraform and PagerDuty.
Evolve to resolve: fewer incidents, faster response (November Product Launch!)
If you missed our latest product launch earlier this month, you can still watch it for a deep dive into our latest AIOps and Automation capabilities. Kat Gains, Jonathan Rende, Julia Nasser, Sam Ferguson, and Hadijah Creary introduced:
- Incident Workflows
- PagerDuty Status Page and Status Update Notification Templates
- Flexible time windows for Intelligent Alert Grouping
- Updated for 2022! Incident Response Ops Guide
Join PagerDuty at AWS Re:Invent 2022, or our booth at the Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations and Cloud Strategies Conference for our latest product demo and to learn more about PagerDuty from our product experts and team of solutions consultants.
Register for upcoming events in December here!
PagerDuty Community Twitch Stream
Join us on our Twitch channels, PagerDuty Twitch Stream and PagerDuty Community Twitch Stream, to catch up on one of our latest streams led by our Developer Advocates! Catch our past streams via the YouTube Twitch Streams Channel.
- Subscribe and get notified when we’re live and view previous recordings
- Missed one of our broadcasts? Watch any of these upcoming and recent Twitch streams (PagerDuty Garage and Terraform Time) or YouTube videos:
- Services with a Smile: Service Graph and Service Standards with Mandi Walls and Davis Godbout from PagerDuty (September 30, 2022)
- PagerDuty Process Automation and Rundeck Open Source v4.8.0 Release Notes with Mandi Walls, Jake Cohen, and Forrest Evans (November 10, 2022)
- View our Twitch Stream schedule to join one of our weekly ongoing streams in December!
If your team could benefit from any of these enhancements, be sure to contact your account manager and sign up for a 14-day free trial.