What’s New: Updates to Incident Response, PagerDuty® Process Automation, Integrations, and More!
We’re excited to announce a new set of updates and enhancements to the PagerDuty Operations Cloud. Following another successful PagerDuty Summit, development continues across several areas of the product. Recent updates from the product team include Incident Response, PagerDuty® Process Automation and PagerDuty® Runbook Automation, Partner Integrations & Ecosystem, as well as Community & Advocacy Events updates. In addition to helping automate incident response and reducing the amount of issues escalated to other teams, you can:
- Improve consistency and predictability during Incident Response with Service Standards
- Learn about our latest PagerDuty® Process Automation and PagerDuty® Runbook Automation AWS Plugins for Automated Diagnostics including the PagerDuty CloudWatch Logs plugin, Systems Manager plugin, and ECS Remote Command plugin
- Catch up on details about other recently released AWS plugins (ECS and Lambda) and updates to Ansible plugins, as well as numerous core and commercial updates to PagerDuty® Process Automation and PagerDuty® Runbook Automation in the latest 4.4.0 Release
- Enjoy our latest Partner Integrations and Ecosystem updates–including improvements to the PagerDuty App for Slack: Next Gen Slack V2 Dedicated Incident Channel Improvements (Early Access) and Webhooks V3
- Improve the lives of customer service agents and reduce resolution times and escalations to engineering teams with Automation Actions in the PagerDuty App for Zendesk
- Stay in the know with Product Deprecations and User Administration call to actions
- Sign up for upcoming Events view our recent Podcasts and Twitch Streams, and join members of our Community Team and Product Teams as they walk you through new products and leading practices in the software industry
Now available to all customers, Service Standards can help teams improve operational maturity and provide a better customer experience by defining criteria that standardizes what ‘good’ looks like across teams. Configure services more consistently according to best practices for improved predictability during incident response. Scale service ownership across the entire organization. Enhance your analytics by improving the accuracy of your service configurations. Admins and account owners can view Service Standards by default, but permissions can be adjusted to allow all users to also view them.
- Enhanced search functionality
- Toggling between all schedules and team schedules
- Collapsing or expanding information based on the level of detail needed
- Easier schedule comparison with time windows displayed
- Streamlined view of on-call responders with shift times
View it above or watch it in action later
PagerDuty® Process Automation Software and PagerDuty® Runbook Automation
New AWS Plugins for Automated Diagnostics
Do your apps and services reside in AWS? If so, we now have AWS plugins for automated diagnostics that can help you and your teams triage incidents on AWS faster, and with more efficiency. These new plugins join our existing library.
- CloudWatch Logs plugin retrieves diagnostic data from AWS infrastructure and applications. Now users can more easily run automated diagnostics for AWS across multiple accounts and products.
- Systems Manager plugin allows for faster execution and accuracy for tasks such as configuration management, patching, and deploying monitoring and security tooling agents. Now operators can view and manage their global EC2 footprint in a single interface with security best-practices.
- ECS Remote Command plugin provides a mechanism to execute commands on containers. This enables developers and operators to retrieve diagnostic data from their running applications in real-time before redeploying their services.
PagerDuty® Process Automation Software and PagerDuty® Runbook Automation Release 4.4.0
Commercial product users can now enjoy new AWS Job Step Plugins for Lambda and ECS (Fargate).
The Lambda Custom Code Workflow step, you can create, execute, and optionally delete a new Lambda function with the custom code provided in a Job step as its input. Most advantageous to Runbook Automation users is the ability to execute custom scripts as steps in jobs without having to install any software!
We’ve made additional enhancements and fixes to our popular Ansible plugin and the recent additional enhancements and fixes:
- Ansible: Inline inventory Fix
- Ansible: Update Gradle to 7.2
- Ansible: Normalize line separators to LF (unix)
- Ansible: Add a field to set the path to the Ansible binaries directory
- Add a field to set the path to the Ansible Binaries directory
Integrations & Partner Ecosystem
PagerDuty App for Zendesk – Automation Actions
Customer service agents can now run Automation Actions directly within the PagerDuty App for Zendesk. This automation improves efficiency, lightens agents’ burgeoning workload, reduces the chances of mistakes when agents have to run manual tasks when responding to high-pressure customer cases, and simply improves their lives without adding more toil. It empowers customer service agents to automatically validate problems and capture critical information instantly for response teams to diagnose and resolve them. The added context from running an Automation Action is critical for response teams to access in an instant to reduce resolution times and also eases the load on backend teams. It helps reduce the amount of issues that are escalated to engineering teams–enabling them to work more efficiently with less interruptions by issues, for instance, that may have lower urgencies or are less customer-impacting.
PagerDuty App for Slack Dedicated Incident Channel Improvements
The Next Generation Slack V2 dedicated Incident channel improvements are in Early Access and now ready for customer use! These improvements allow collaborative teams across an organization to access the following from just within an incident’s dedicated incident channel:
- View all incident details, history, and updates
- Perform all incident actions
- Add all responders to a channel (requires responder to have previously linked their slack account to PagerDuty).
- Post or create a dedicated zoom conference bridge
Read the blog
Are you, or do you know a Restricted Access User who wants to manage Webhooks V3 integrations for a team(s)? If so, now it’s possible to be assigned the Manager Team Role! This empowers you and members of operations teams by removing the dependency on Global Admins and Account Owners to manage day-to-day operations.
Please take note and keep your teams informed of our upcoming product deprecations:
If you are currently using V1/V2 webhook extensions in your PagerDuty environment, you need to migrate them to V3 webhook subscriptions to maintain functionality.
Please follow our migration guide
- V1 Webhooks – V1 webhook extensions became unsupported (no new features or bug fixes) since November 13, 2021 and will stop working in October, 2022.
- V2 Webhooks – V2 webhook extensions will be unsupported in October, 2022 and will stop working in March, 2023.
- Admins or Account Owners can migrate an entire account.
- Team Managers can only migrate webhooks for their assigned Teams.
What are Webhooks? Webhooks allow you to receive HTTP callbacks when significant events happen in your PagerDuty account, for example, when an incident triggers, escalates, or resolves. Details about the event are sent to your specified URL, such as Slack or your own custom PagerDuty webhook processor.
If you have any questions, please reach out to your PagerDuty contact or our support team at email@example.com.
Learn more about webhooks
Webinars & Events
Join us for the following webinars and events to learn more about PagerDuty’s recent product updates and how they benefit customers. These are just a few of many:
PagerDuty Summit 2022 (On Demand)
Missed us at PagerDuty Summit this year? Summit talks are now available on demand so you can catch our newest demos, technical sessions, and keynotes from executives and industry leaders anytime!
Common Diagnostics for Common Components
Tuesday, August 16th, 2022 10am PDT / 1pm EDT / 18:00 BST
Join Justyn Roberts from PagerDuty in an interactive event where you can learn how to automate manual tasks for recurring issues that bog down productivity and increase toil. You’ll learn how you can embrace automation to operate faster, reduce the number of escalations to specialists to save time, money, and burnout, as well as optimize resolution times.
Quarterly Terraform Roundtable
Tuesday, August 9th, 2022 10am PDT / 1pm EDT / 18:00 BST
Join a discussion moderated by Scott McAllister from PagerDuty and hear from industry peers as well as share your experiences regarding best practices, learnings, and what to consider when deciding to migrate to Infrastructure as Code with Terraform and PagerDuty.
Live Intro to PagerDuty Process Automation
Monday, Aug 1, 2022 — 6:00 PM PDT
Tuesday, Aug 2, 2022 — 5:00 AM PDT
Tuesday, Aug 2, 2022 — 10:00 AM PDT
Join Craig Hobbs and Martin Van Son from PagerDuty as they walk you through common use cases and challenges that Process Automation solves, show you a product demo, and conduct a live Q&A!
Spring Launch Webinar: New Product Releases for Automating IT Processes in the Cloud and at Higher Scale
Join Peko Karanayev, Greg Chase, and Madeline Zemer from PagerDuty as they discuss how to employ automation to optimize security and compliance.
How to Standardize Service Automation at Scale for Improved Incident Response
Join Hannah Culver, Davis Godbout, and Karen Myers from PagerDuty as they discuss how teams can improve incident response by leveraging PagerDuty to configure their services at scale to meet organization requirements and to improve visibility into the state of services across the technology ecosystem.
Supercharge your AWS Cloud Platform with Self-Service Cloud Ops
Join Mandi Walls from PagerDuty and Mark Kriaf from AWS as they share how Cloud Ops teams can further eliminate toil and escalations via PagerDuty® Process Automation On Prem and PagerDuty® Runbook Automation–embracing the ability to standardize and automate operational procedures and then safely delegate them as self-service requests to other stakeholders.
Register for upcoming events in August here!
PagerDuty Community Twitch Stream
Join us on our Twitch channels, PagerDuty Twitch Stream and PagerDuty Community Twitch Stream, to catch up on one of our latest streams led by our Developer Advocates! Catch our past streams via the YouTube Twitch Streams Channel.
- Subscribe and get notified when we’re live and view previous recordings
- Missed one of our broadcasts? Watch any of these recent Twitch streams (PagerDuty Garage and Terraform Time) or YouTube videos:
- Release Notes Stream With Forrest – With Mandi Walls, Forrest Evans, and Jake Cohen (July 26, 2022)
- PagerDuty Garage – With Mandi Walls (July 25, 2022)
- Terraform Time – Loops and Variables With Scott McAllister (July 18, 2022)
- PagerDuty Garage – Auth and Keys With Mandi Walls (July 18, 2022)
- PagerDuty Garage – With Mandi Walls (July 15, 2022)
- PagerDuty Event Orchestration in Terraform (June 6, 2022)
If your team could benefit from any of these enhancements, be sure to contact your account manager and sign up for a 14-day free trial.